Ever since baby Ellis was born we have been trying to get back to healthier eating. Most of our dinners have been paleoish, big servings of roasted veggies and meat. I haven’t really shared recipes recently because of how basic we have been eating.
But yesterday was a special occasion. A certain little girl turned TWO!
We celebrated on Saturday with a party with a few of her friends and yesterday with a yummy dinner and more cake, ice cream, and cookies!!
Hadley loves casseroles and zucchini and momma loves chicken cordon bleu so I knew this would be a hit. It was rich and creamy, perfect for celebrating a special occasion.
This does not fall into our healthy eating category it is neither healthy nor paleo, but I feel just slightly better about it since I used zucchini rather than noodles. Anytime I can make that swap I do. I think I might actually prefer zucchini to noodles in lasagna.
Celebrate your next special occasion with our family’s new favorite.
- 3 large zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1½ cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 1½ cups chopped ham
- 8 oz swiss cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
- In a large sauce pan melt butter add flour and whisk until combined. Gradually whisk in half and half and milk. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8x11 baking dish. Layer ⅓ of the zucchini strips on the bottom, top with ⅓ of the chicken, ⅓ of the ham, ⅓ of the sauce, and ⅓ of the swiss cheese. Repeat layers two more times then bake for 45 minutes.