I am always wanting to get back into blogging, but this little thing called time keeps stopping me.
I cook for my family almost every night and everyone who knows me expects that I am cooking these elaborate meals nightly. But I will be the first to tell you that could not be further from the truth. Most of our dinners are so easy that they probably shouldn’t even be considered recipes. I’m also reminded that is what busy moms like myself need – easy, family friendly, balanced meals.
My hope is to share those and encourage you and your family to get some new ideas into your weekly rotation.
This week I have this easy red cabbage dish for you. I absolutely love cabbage and add it to stir fries any chance I get. My kids loved the apple in here and actually did try a little of the cabbage as well, which I consider a win. I am constantly introducing and using “new” vegetables for them. My goal is for them to love all veggies and happily eat any they are served.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tart apples, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, bite size pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cabbage, garlic powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Saute until cabbage is softened about 3 minutes. Add chopped apple and continue to cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together balsamic vinegar, water, maple syrup, and Dijon mustard. Pour into skillet and cook 3-5 minutes. Remove cabbage and apples from skillet.
- Toss chicken with oregano, onion powder and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Serve over cabbage and apples, drizzle with additional balsamic